Gong Gong says

This is a posthumous blog of our father's (Lim Kok Ann) life. When our father passed away on 8 March 2003, he left behind an unpublished autobiography. We'd like to celebrate his life by sharing his autobiography through this blog.


"I have dredged these anecdotes from memory just to pass the time; if they amuse my grandchildren their purpose will have been served; if they provide any instruction, it will be a happy coincidence; that they are disjointed is probably to be expected.

Aurora was the name of my grandfather’s house in Kulangsu.   Amoy, where I spent the first five or six years of my life.   I still have vivid memories of events that took place when I was barely three years old.

Lim Kok Ann
October 1996"

Friday, July 11, 2008

1:17 Singapore Scholar

I passed the Senior Cambridge Examinations in 1936 with flying colours at the head of the Singapore Candidates and earned the Singapore Government prize of $200 for the effort. It was the first distinction I had in school and rather unexpected for while I was known to be.a smart fellow, and had taken a high place in the Junior Cambridge Examinations, there were class-mates who excelled me in some subjects. I don’t remember how I spent the Scholarship money though $200 was a sum in those days when drivers earned $12 a month and brought up their families on this salary.

How I did so well I cannot imagine for I did not “study” very hard until the last few months before examinations. I excelled in Mathematics, of course, and in English Language and Literature because of the wide reading that I had and the ease with which I memorized long passages for questions on context and comparisons, and I was a facile writer. History and Geography I was not so good at, being too lazy to try to learn the names of Kings and event dates, or the produce of far-off lands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home