Gong Gong says

This is a posthumous blog of our father's (Lim Kok Ann) life. When our father passed away on 8 March 2003, he left behind an unpublished autobiography. We'd like to celebrate his life by sharing his autobiography through this blog.


"I have dredged these anecdotes from memory just to pass the time; if they amuse my grandchildren their purpose will have been served; if they provide any instruction, it will be a happy coincidence; that they are disjointed is probably to be expected.

Aurora was the name of my grandfather’s house in Kulangsu.   Amoy, where I spent the first five or six years of my life.   I still have vivid memories of events that took place when I was barely three years old.

Lim Kok Ann
October 1996"

Friday, July 11, 2008

1:20 Oberon revisited

I was intrigued, one day, when I saw Eu Jin’s car come to fetch him home from school and noticed a young lady in Raffles Girls School uniform in the car. It was Rosie, of course, whom I had not seen for some time as I had not visited Eu Jin in the past months, because I was keeping company with Swee Law and Swee Keng. Thereafter, I would hang about the place waiting to catch a glimpse of Rosie instead of going straight home on my bicycle as soon as our lessons were over. On some pretext I wangled an invitation to visit Eu Jin at home and when I learned that Rosie needed some help in Maths, I was a frequent visitor.

My friendship with Rosie bloomed when we discovered a mutual interest in poetry and Shakespeare, beginning with Shelley’s “The fountains mingle with the river,” and leading to the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet, for her work-desk was in the verandah and I would signal my arrival below with a tinkle on my bicycle bell.

When her parents went overseas for a few months I was able to spend some evenings with Rosie in her garden admiring the full moon, but this did not last long as the auntie in charge objected to our unchaperoned meetings. And, not too soon, for it was time to get back to my studies which I did with gusto. In no time at all, the Examinations were upon us and I went into them as well prepared as I could have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home