Gong Gong says

This is a posthumous blog of our father's (Lim Kok Ann) life. When our father passed away on 8 March 2003, he left behind an unpublished autobiography. We'd like to celebrate his life by sharing his autobiography through this blog.


"I have dredged these anecdotes from memory just to pass the time; if they amuse my grandchildren their purpose will have been served; if they provide any instruction, it will be a happy coincidence; that they are disjointed is probably to be expected.

Aurora was the name of my grandfather’s house in Kulangsu.   Amoy, where I spent the first five or six years of my life.   I still have vivid memories of events that took place when I was barely three years old.

Lim Kok Ann
October 1996"

Sunday, August 10, 2008

2:7 Proposal.

In the summer of 1941 Iwas much concerned with the way the war was going and how families everywhere were being disrupted and I could not get over a deep sense of insecurity. I felt that my life lacked direction and I gradually came to the conclusion that I needed to get married so as to start a family of my own. The solution was readily at hand; the erratic correspondence that I had with Rosie gave me hope that she was still unattached, and one night when I was on fire-guardduty in the attic of the University Union, I composed a letter of marriage proposal and sent it to her by airmail.

Rosie was rather taken aback at the suddenness of my proposal, but she indicated her willingness by telegram. I then wrote my father and asked him to see Rosie’s parents to formally arrange the marriage. My father wrote to say that the marriage was agreed to, and exhorted me to take good care of my wife to be. I had given no thought to how and when the wedding would take place but the Japanese came to our assistance by injecting a note of urgency into our affairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home