Gong Gong says

This is a posthumous blog of our father's (Lim Kok Ann) life. When our father passed away on 8 March 2003, he left behind an unpublished autobiography. We'd like to celebrate his life by sharing his autobiography through this blog.


"I have dredged these anecdotes from memory just to pass the time; if they amuse my grandchildren their purpose will have been served; if they provide any instruction, it will be a happy coincidence; that they are disjointed is probably to be expected.

Aurora was the name of my grandfather’s house in Kulangsu.   Amoy, where I spent the first five or six years of my life.   I still have vivid memories of events that took place when I was barely three years old.

Lim Kok Ann
October 1996"

Sunday, February 08, 2009

4:13 Su Hui with Carleton
When Carleton visited Singapore earlier that year he told us about the children he had been adopting and on an impulse I had asked him if he would “adopt” Su Hui and take him to America and put him through high school. Su Hui had been doing badly in school because he could not cope with his Chinese lessons and even with extra lessons from a private tutor, Su Hui was surely getting further behind in his class, having spent practically all his study time on Chinese. When Carleton understood that I was serious and why I felt Su Hui would do better in America rather than in Singapore, he had a private talk with Su Hui and asked him if he would like to come and live with him in Chevy Chase. I could just imagine the delight on Su Hui’s face when he realized he was going to start life anew, and in America. When I went to Nice for the FIDE Congress, Rosie took Su Hui to Paris where Carleton met him and took him to Washington.

Su Hui stayed with Carleton and Joe Wegstein for four years and got good SATS (the national school leaving assessment test) results when he finished High School, though this did not qualify him for anything in Singapore. I sent Carleton some money from time to time for Su Hui’s upkeep, but Carleton kept it separately for Su Hui’s personal use. In the last year of Su Hui’s stay with Carleton he had the good fortune of accompanying Carleton with his other kids to attend Carelton's Nobel Prize award ceremony in Stockholm. Several years previously, the Nobel Prize Committee had asked me to nominate someone for the Nobel Prize and I had put up Carleton’s name citing the discovery of kuru as justification. Carleton was horrified when I told him about this for he did not think himself worthy to be ranked alongside the giants of science and medicine, such as Albert Einstein and Linus Pauling. Though I might have been biased, I believe that time proved I had judged rightly the importance of his discovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home